Recently, there are criticisms regarding the contradiction in al-Sunnah (hadith). Are these criticisms towards Sunnah something new or are they the same as before? In the issue of tadwin (writing) of the sunnah, have the scholars answered it, leaving no room of doubt?
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
We present the answer of Dr Muhammad Ijaj al-Khatib from his book titled al-Sunnah al-Nabawiyyah.
“Indeed, criticisms made by some groups together with the enemy, all converge at the same point which is it is their efforts to instil doubts in Muslims about the prophetic traditions which act as the commentary and interpretation of the Quran. If this effort succeeds, it will cultivate ignorant generations in the future distancing them from their religion.
The scholars wrote many books denying and rejecting all syubhah (doubt) on the sunnah so that Muslims will be able to preserve and be iltizam (committed) with what is sahih from the Prophet PBUH. Among the books written in response to the syubhah raised by the enemies of Islam are:
- Abu Hurairah Riwayat al-Islam: Dr. Muhammad Ijaj al-Khatib.
- Al-Anwar al-Kasyifah lima fi Kitab Adhwa’ ala al-Sunnah: Al-Syeikh Abdulrahman bin Yahya al-Yamani.
- Al-Hadith wa al-Muhaddithun: Dr. Muhammad Abu Zuhrah.
- Al-Sunnah wa Makanatuha fi al-Tasyhri’ al-Islami: Dr. Mustafa al-Siba’i.
- Al-Sunnah Qabla al-Tadwin: Muhammad Ijaj al-Khatib.
- Al-Sunnah al-Muthahharah wa al-Tahaddiyat: Dr. Nuruddin ‘Itr.
- Zhulumat Abi Rayah: Al-Syeikh Muhammad Abdul Razzaq Hamzah.
- Qissah al-Hujum ala al-Sunnah: Ali Ahmad al-Salus.”
Hopefully, this answer will be able to guide us so that we are not among ignorant people who also spread syubhah towards the prophetic traditions. Amin.