Assalamualaikum Dato’ Seri Mufti, how to prevent doubts from entering one’s heart during worship, such as when one is praying?
Waalaikumussalam wrt. wbt.
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the many countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind, The Sovereign of mankind. The God of mankind, From the evil of the retreating whisperer - Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind - From among the jinn and mankind."
Surah al-Nas (1-6)
The above surah shows how great the dangers of doubts led by shaytan which enters the heart of people, especially if it involves the issues of aqidah (faith) that results in doubts regarding the might of Allah SWT.
In this issue, there are several points that should be considered:
- Doubt is shaytan’s tactic and should be avoided. Shaytan will seduce humans, by knowing it is the tactic of shaytan, then it is clear to us that we should avoid it.
- Supplicate to Allah SWT to make us be among those who have steadfastness in our hearts and are not be easily swayed with doubts. The Prophet PBUH always recite the following supplication:
يا مُقَلِّبَ القُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِي عَلَى دِينِكَ
“O Changer of the hearts, make my heart firm upon Your religion”
Sunan al-Tirmizi (2140)
- Always recite surah al-Nas, reflect and contemplate on it.
- Read books that discusses the types of doubts and whispers of shaytan such as Talbis Iblis written by Ibn Jauzi.
- The same for tasawuf books that discusses ways to overcome it. Among them are Ihya’ Ulum al-Din by Imam al-Ghazali.
We should not bother with the feelings of doubt according to a famous qawaid fiqhiyyah اليقين لا يزول بالشك (certainty is unaffected by doubt). May Allah SWT bless us with consistency and determination in performing our worships without getting influenced by doubts. Amin.